We were watching Lord of the Rings as a family. Gandalf and Frodo had a conversation while in Rivendel, and say this:
‘So do I,’ said Gandalf, ‘and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.’
So True! "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us!"
The series suits FLYing very well, in so many ways:
- Little by little, one travels far.
- If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
- It’s a job that’s never started that takes the longest to finish.
- His house was perfect, whether you liked food, or sleep, or work, or story-telling, or singing, or just sitting and thinking, best, or a pleasant mixture of them all.
- "It’s a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door," he used to say. "You step into the Road, and if you don’t keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to.
- But I expect they had lots of chances, like us, of turning back, only they didn’t. And if they had, we shouldn’t know, because they’d have been forgotten. We hear about those as just went on — and not all to a good end, mind you; at least not to what folk inside a story and not outside it call a good end.
- The deeds will not be less valiant because they are unpraised.
At the council of Elrond, they are amazed that the hobbits seem so resistant to the effects of the ring. Yes, they’re affected, but not as badly as others.
I give them two reasons:
The Shire. During the darkest days of their journey, Sam talks about food they enjoy, and the Shire. They draw strength from their memories, and they literally go to the ends of the earth to protect it and those they love.
Their size. They are small. They know they cannot do great deeds or be great rulers. They do not want the power or responsibility the ring tries to lure them with. They are content with their piece of the world, with food, cheer and song — shared with friends.
(Thanks to http://www.quotationspage.com for collecting the quotations.)